Thursday, July 23, 2009

Alzheimer's Disease, two book recommendations

When a family is dealing with Alzheimer's disease, you may find yourself becoming almost infomaniacs. What is the best information for our situation, where is it, is it the most timely?

When we were caring for our Mother, her doctor recommended a book which helped us -- when we found time to read it. This is a book I've bought more than once to give as a gift to friends who are going through the same thing.


There is a Question and Answer book available for the person with AD themselves. In our case, we found it was better in the earlier stages of the disease. Alzheimer's: The Answers You Need. The book answers questions that the person may be wondering about what might happen to them.

Questions include: How will Alzheimer's Change my Marriage?, Can I Continue to Handle my Finances?, Will Alzheimer's Affect my Driving? and Should we Tell our Friends?

Our doctor suggested it to us, and I wish I could find a more recent version of this one. Still, we found it to be well written and valuable in establishing communication and more. These are absolutely by no means the only books we read or recommend nor are they the only resources that we consulted.

I'll revisit the subject of Alzheimer's again in this blog. I'm working on a necklace with an AD theme in my Mother's honor and will talk more about that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for visiting.

Please keep your comments topical & respectful. We can't accept links or be responsible for content of comments.